Sunday, July 26, 2009

Howth Head Painting Progress -- Day 3, Harry Patch RIP

Here is a couple more steps down the road for this painting...just about the undercoating stage finished. As can be seen I mostly used the same colours as before, Cerulean Blue and Titanium White, with some Raw Umber mixed into the blue for the distant penninsula of Howth, and the small shadows from the dog, the waves and the children. I could have used a few more colours but decided to keep it rather simple for now. I am mostly trying to establish the light and dark of the image at this stage, not that there is much dark in this one. I'm painting a little each day at the moment, not more than two hours at a time. I have other things to do as usual. Still, progress may be slow but steady. I have a few more ideas I may get up and running and progress in tandem with this painting, so check back as usual and see their updates.

Now I want to pay my respects to Harry Patch (pictured here) and Henry Allingham, the last survivors of the First World War who both died this week past. Harry died last Saturday, aged 111 and Henry about a week before aged 113. Henry was the oldest man in the world at the time of his death, after the previous holder, Tomoshi Tanabe died not so long ago. With their passing, the last first hand accounts of the sacrifices made by their generation are now gone. May they rest in peace. I will write more about them another time. Here is a link of interest, Harry Patch Biography.

No comments: