Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Previous Work - Oil Painting

Freedom - Detail

This is a painting I remember working on in my grandmothers old farmhouse, quite some years ago. I finished it at a slower pace than work I have done recently - not sure if faster is better. Still think about that from time to time. I used to spend a lot of time on some paintings, to get them really perfect. I often felt it was worth it. But on reflection, it really was too intense perhaps.


To a child dancing in the wind
Dance there upon the shore,
What need have you to care,
For winds or waters roar,
And tumble out your hair,
That the salt drops have wet,
Being young you have not known,
The fool's triumph nor yet,
Love lost as soon as won,
Nor the best labourer dead,
And all the sheaves to bind
What need have you to dread,
The monstrous crying of the wind.
.
William Butler Yeats. 1865-1939
.
I have omitted the second verse...not as nice as above.

No comments: