Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thomas Hardy Poetry -- Lyonesse

It's been quite a while since I held a visit to poetry corner so this post is a little diversion from art to entertain a little fantasy type poem. Lyonesse was a place near Cornwall in England, according to the legends of King Arthur. This poem written by Thomas Hardy recalls when he visited this place and met his future wife there. Enjoy...


When I set out for Lyonesse by Thomas Hardy.

When I set out for Lyonesse, A hundred miles away, The rime was on the spray,
And starlight lit my lonesomeness, When I set out for Lyonesse, A hundred miles away.

What would bechance at Lyonesse, While I should sojourn there, No prophet durst declare,
Nor could the wisest wizard guess, What would bechance at Lyonesse, While I should sojourn there.

When I came back from Lyonesse, With magic in my eyes, All marked with mute surmise,
My radiance rare and fathomless, When I came back from Lyonesse, With magic in my eyes!

No comments: